Polyethylene bags play a big role in environmental pollution because of their resistance to decomposition.at trade, catering, and service facilities by entrepreneurs. The National Assembly of Azerbaijan adopted amendment targeting the minimization of plastic consumption:
1. Content of the amendment: On November 26, 2020, the following paragraph was added to Article 46 of the Law on Environmental Protection:
It is prohibited for entrepreneurs to import, manufacture or sell to consumers plastic polyethylene bags up to 15 microns thick, as well as disposable plastic mixing rods, forks, spoons, knives, plates and cups, as well as in trade, catering and other service facilities.
2. Fines: The amount of fines to be confiscated and applied in accordance with Article 275.4 of the Code of Administrative Offenses shall be as follows:
- Officials from 1000 to 1500 AZN,
- Legal entities are subject to a fine in the amount of 3,000 to 4,000 AZN.
Fines for violation of the rule within 1 year from the first violation:
- officials from 1500 to 2000 AZN,
- legal entities are subject to a fine in the amount of 4,000 to 5,000 manat.
3. The Ministry of Economy of the Republic of Azerbaijan is authorized to conduct monitorings and apply administrative penalties for the sale or transfer of plastic bags, plastic products intended for single use.